Tag: all

  • Warner Bros Discovery Appoints New Leaders for U.S. Networks

    Warner Bros Discovery Appoints New Leaders for U.S. Networks

    On December 18, Warner Bros Discovery announced new leaders for its U.S. Networks business. Channing Dungey will be the head of the group. Dungey has a strong background, having worked as president of ABC Entertainment and with Netflix. She was chosen for this role in August after the previous leader, Kathleen Finch, retired.

    Brett Paul has been named the chief operating officer. He will help Dungey put her plans into action while managing business and online strategies. Howard Lee has been promoted to chief creative officer, overseeing the content for Warner Bros Discovery’s TV networks and their streaming service, Max. He will also keep his role as president of TLC and Discovery.

    Susan Kolar has been appointed as the chief financial and strategy officer for U.S. Networks. She will also keep her job as head of the television unit and will report to the company’s CFO, Gunnar Wiedenfels.

    These important changes come as Warner Bros Discovery seeks to separate its cable TV businesses, like CNN, from its streaming services. This shift reflects a broader trend, as many cable subscribers are choosing to cancel their subscriptions

  • Tragedy Strikes: 13 Killed in Mumbai Speedboat and Ferry Collision

    Tragedy Strikes: 13 Killed in Mumbai Speedboat and Ferry Collision

    A tragic accident happened on Wednesday off the Mumbai coast when a speedboat crashed into a passenger ferry, resulting in the deaths of 13 people, including three Navy officers. The Indian Navy confirmed that the speedboat was their own and lost control due to engine problems while conducting tests.

    The Navy stated that the boat collided with the ferry, which then overturned. “This afternoon, while testing the engine, our Navy speedboat had a malfunction, which caused it to crash into a passenger ferry,” the Navy shared on social media.

    So far, 101 people have been rescued, and survivors are receiving medical care. Search and rescue operations are actively ongoing, using four helicopters, 11 Navy boats, one Coast Guard vessel, and three marine police crafts to locate and help those affected.

    The ferry was heading to Elephanta Islands, a popular tourist spot near Mumbai, when the accident occurred around 4 PM. Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis confirmed that among the deceased, there were 10 civilians and three Navy personnel.

    Defense Minister Rajnath Singh expressed his sorrow as well. He mentioned, “I am deeply saddened by this tragic event. Those hurt, including both Navy personnel and civilians, are receiving urgent medical attention. My heartfelt condolences go to the families of those who lost their lives.” Search efforts are ongoing to find anyone missing.

  • AISPLB Objects to Waqf Amendment Bill: Key Concerns Explained

    AISPLB Objects to Waqf Amendment Bill: Key Concerns Explained

    On Wednesday, members of the All India Shia Personal Law Board (AISPLB) presented 13 concerns to the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) regarding the Waqf Amendment Bill that the government plans to pass. However, insiders said that the AISPLB officials had trouble explaining their points clearly.

    Members of the ruling party questioned the objections from the AISPLB, but the officials struggled to respond effectively. The AISPLB representatives explained that they were given very short notice for the meeting and weren’t fully prepared. The JPC chairperson said they could return or submit written answers to the questions later.

    During the meeting, the AISPLB officials argued that the bill was against the interests of the Muslim community. However, a ruling party MP argued back, saying past governments had only appeased the Muslim community and that this new government was truly trying to help the poor and women within the community.

    Some opposition MPs disagreed with the ruling party MP, stating that he was turning the discussion into a political fight. The meeting’s chairman stepped in to end the argument.

    After the meeting, JPC chairman Jagdambika Pal told the media that the AISPLB had presented their 13 concerns. The committee would review these points and may ask the AISPLB officials to come back for more discussions.

    This JPC, which started reviewing the bill in August, was expected to report back to Parliament during the current winter session. However, the Lok Sabha speaker has allowed more time to discuss it until the end of the next budget session.

  • Families Desperate for Answers: Searching for Missing Syrians in Mass Graves

    Families Desperate for Answers: Searching for Missing Syrians in Mass Graves

    Ziad Alaywi stands near a deep ditch in Najha, southeast of Damascus, filled with worry about his two brothers. He fears they might be in one of the many mass graves where prisoners who were tortured are buried. “We want to know where our children are,” he says, looking at the freshly dug dirt. Families like his have been searching for missing loved ones since the Syrian conflict began, which has tragically taken over 500,000 lives.

    Since the fall of Bashar al-Assad’s regime in early December, people have been looking for their missing family members. Ziad, a 55-year-old driver, recalls how his brothers and four cousins were arrested over a decade ago. “I’ve checked every prison, but I still have no answers,” he shares.

    Residents say there are other similar sites with signs of recent digging, and they hope that searching these graves would bring them peace. “It’s not just about one or two people; it’s thousands who are missing,” Ziad adds. He urges international investigators to help uncover these mass graves so families can finally know the truth about their loved ones.

    Others have expressed sadness at not finding their missing relatives in the newly opened prisons. Just a few kilometers from Ziad, a group in white suits is working to collect evidence. They’ve received many calls about mass graves, as people suspect that almost every military site has one.

    Omar al-Salmo, a civil defense official, explains that they are trying to collect bones for DNA testing. In the past decade, it’s estimated that over 100,000 people have died in Syrian prisons, mostly from torture. Human Rights Watch is calling on the new Syrian government to protect evidence from mass graves for future legal actions and to work with the International Committee of the Red Cross for help.

    In a different area called Daraa, Mohammad Khaled noticed something odd in his returned farm ground. After digging, he and others found 22 bodies in just one day. The search for justice and answers continues for the many families left in despair.

  • Conor McGregor Set to Face Logan Paul in Exciting Boxing Match!

    Conor McGregor Set to Face Logan Paul in Exciting Boxing Match!

    Conor McGregor, a famous Irish fighter from the UFC, has announced a possible boxing match against Logan Paul, a popular American social media star who has also become a fighter. McGregor shared this exciting news on social media, stating that he has made a preliminary agreement with the Ambani family to hold this special fight in India, although he hasn’t said exactly when it will happen.

    Right now, McGregor is dealing with some legal troubles after a jury said he harmed a woman back in 2018, and he has to pay some damages for that. He hasn’t fought since July 2021, when he hurt his leg in a match against Dustin Poirier. He was also supposed to fight Michael Chandler last June but had to pull out because of a broken toe.

    Logan Paul has some fighting experience, too! He went eight rounds with the famous retired boxer Floyd Mayweather, who is 18 years older than him, in an exhibition match three years ago. Paul’s younger brother, Jake, also fought former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson in a popular event on Netflix.

    Stay tuned for more updates about this exciting match!

  • Asteroid 2024 XS3 Will Safely Pass Earth—What You Need to Know!

    Asteroid 2024 XS3 Will Safely Pass Earth—What You Need to Know!

    Big Asteroid Passing Earth, but No Need to Worry!
    Today, an asteroid called 2024 XS3, which is about 84 feet long, is flying by Earth. NASA says there’s no danger of it hitting us! This asteroid will pass at a safe distance of 2,080,000 miles, which is more than 16 times the distance to the Moon. It’s moving really fast, at 23,423 miles per hour. The closest it will get to us is at 1:54 AM IST on December 18.

    Asteroids like 2024 XS3 are leftovers from when our solar system was formed around 4.6 billion years ago. Scientists study these rocks to learn about Earth’s history. It’s important to track their paths because one big asteroid hitting Earth millions of years ago wiped out the dinosaurs!

    How does NASA keep an eye on asteroids?
    NASA uses special systems to track near-Earth objects (NEOs) like 2024 XS3. They have radar technology and tools from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Plus, NASA’s missions, like OSIRIS-REx, gather samples from asteroids to help scientists learn about our solar system’s beginnings.

    The flyby of 2024 XS3 shows how important it is to watch for these objects. Even though it’s not a threat now, keeping track of them helps scientists be ready for any future dangers and helps us learn more about outer space.

  • India and China: Doval and Wang Yi Forge Path to Friendship and Peace

    India and China: Doval and Wang Yi Forge Path to Friendship and Peace

    On Wednesday, National Security Advisor Ajit Doval and China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi met for important talks to improve relations between India and China. This was their first meeting in five years, and they agreed on six key points to keep peace at the borders and build a good relationship.

    Both leaders agreed that solving border issues is important but should not harm the overall friendship between the two countries. They praised the recent solutions on border matters and promised to keep working on them. They also talked about making the rules for the border clearer and building trust between their countries.

    Doval and Wang Yi talked about several ways to strengthen ties, including allowing Indian pilgrims to visit Tibet, boosting trade between India and China at Nathula, and working together on cross-border rivers. They plan to continue these discussions in future meetings, with the next one scheduled to take place in India next year.

    The meeting also covered many other international and regional issues, focusing on how important it is for both countries to work together for global peace. Wang Yi highlighted the long-standing friendship between India and China, which can positively influence many people.

    Doval also met with Chinese Vice President Han Zheng, who emphasized that both countries, as ancient civilizations, have a critical role to play globally. The talks followed a military agreement allowing both countries to withdraw from tense areas, signaling a step towards mending the strained relationship caused by conflicts in the past few years.

  • Big Companies Back Trump’s Inauguration Fund Ahead of 2025

    Big Companies Back Trump’s Inauguration Fund Ahead of 2025

    Donald Trump will officially become the US President again on January 20, 2025. Many big companies want to build a good relationship with him, so they are donating to his inaugural fund. This fund is managed by a group called the Trump-Vance Inaugural Committee, Inc., which is a nonprofit organization. This means they can receive as much money as people want to give.

    Here’s a quick look at some of the companies that are helping:

    -Robinhood: The trading app has given $2 million to Trump’s inaugural fund.
    Uber Technologies: Both the company and its CEO, Dara Khosrowshahi, donated $1 million each.
    Amazon: The online shopping giant donated $1 million and will also stream the inauguration on its Prime Video service.
    Meta Platforms: The parent company of Facebook also contributed $1 million.
    OpenAI: CEO Sam Altman is giving $1 million to support Trump’s plans for artificial intelligence in America.
    Bank of America and Goldman Sachs: These major banks are also planning to donate but haven’t said how much yet.

    FAQs

    Q1. What is Donald Trump’s In Inaugural  Fund ?
    A1. It’s a fund managed by a group called the Trump-Vance Inaugural Committee, Inc., which can accept unlimited donations.

    Q2. When will Donald Trump take charge as US President?
    A2. He will take charge on January 20, 2025.

  • Amad Diallo: Manchester United’s Rising Star Shines in the Derby!

    Amad Diallo: Manchester United’s Rising Star Shines in the Derby!

    Kolkata: In early 2023, it had been more than two years since Amad Diallo played for Manchester United. He finally got back on the field on December 30 in a match against Nottingham Forest, but the team lost 1-2. By January, news was out that Diallo wanted to leave the club.

    However, after his remarkable performance in the Manchester derby, where many called it the “Diallo Derby” because he scored the winning goal and earned a penalty, it’s clear that Manchester United doesn’t want to let him go. In the days before the derby, Diallo had helped create five out of United’s six goals. In just the past two months, he contributed to eight goals. In the derby against Manchester City, only one other player, Bruno Fernandes, matched his six important plays. Diallo even touched the ball ten times in the City penalty area—a feat not seen at that stadium since 2017.

    Fernandes praised Diallo, saying, “When he’s like this, he’s unstoppable. I think there’s still a lot more to come.” Diallo is also great at winning the ball back, with a high number of successful pressures in the game. His passing accuracy, with a defender close by, ranks him fourth in the Premier League among wingers.

    Despite a rough patch under previous coach Erik Ten Hag, who left in late October, Diallo has shown he can play in multiple positions. Diallo had less playing time compared to others, but once Ruud van Nistelrooy and Ruben Amorim took over as coaches, his role began to grow.

    After a strong start, Diallo contributed greatly, assisting a goal against Everton and showing great skills on the field. Under Amorim, who has praised Diallo’s ability, he has played more than others like Marcus Rashford and Alejandro Garnacho recently.

    Against Manchester City, Diallo played a creative role similar to a No.10, sprinting more than anyone else in the match. He also made crucial interceptions and scored the winning goal with a clever move. Fernandes noted, “He’s always alert, and that’s why he gets penalties and goals.”

    While Rashford and Garnacho have had more overall goals this season, Diallo’s ability to create plays could lead to more opportunities for him in the next few matches.

  • Tragedy Strikes: Congress Worker Dies During Guwahati Protest

    Tragedy Strikes: Congress Worker Dies During Guwahati Protest

    A Congress worker named Mridul Islam sadly died during a big protest in Guwahati. The police used tear gas to stop protestors who were trying to march towards the Raj Bhawan. Mridul Islam, who was a lawyer, was part of the demonstration and got exposed to the tear gas. The police said they did not use force and claimed that Mr. Islam was not feeling well.

    Many journalists at the protest also complained about feeling irritation from the tear gas. According to party spokesperson Bedabrat Bora, Mr. Islam felt suffocated when a tear gas shell landed near him. A senior police officer mentioned that Mr. Islam was quickly taken to Gauhati Medical College and Hospital for help but was declared dead by the doctors.

    The protest was part of a larger nationwide event called “Raj Bhavan Chalo,” where many Congress members and supporters marched to express their disagreement with various issues. They were voicing concerns about the installation of smart meters, the BJP-led government not discussing the Manipur issue in Parliament, corruption accusations against the Adani Group, and the proposed One Nation, One Election Bill.

    Several Congress leaders, including Debabrata Saikia, APCC Chief Bhupen Borah, and senior leader Ripun Bora, were arrested during the protest. There was even a scuffle where some leaders fell to the ground but were released later.

    In response to Mr. Islam’s death, Congress has filed a police complaint in Guwahati. They plan to hold sit-in protests across the state as a sign of respect for him and are calling for an investigation into what happened.

    Guwahati Police Commissioner Diganta Barah stated that they did not fire the tear gas shells aggressively. They only rolled a few on the road to create smoke to disperse the crowd. He added that Congress did not ask for permission to hold the protest and that the protestors broke through some barricades. He insisted that there was no use of force and that a check on Mr. Islam showed no visible injuries. The real cause of death will be known after the autopsy results come in.