Rahul Gandhi’s Defamation Case Postponed Again: Next Hearing on April 15

Special court postpones hearing for Rahul Gandhi’s defamation case to April 15 due to absent witness, with the case dating back to 2018 amid multiple delays.

rahul gandhi hathras court case

A special court has postponed a defamation case against Rahul Gandhi, who is the Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha, to April 15. The case was delayed because the person who made the complaint did not bring any witnesses to the court. Rahul Gandhi’s lawyer, Kashi Prasad Shukla, said the hearing couldn’t happen without a witness.

The defamation case started back in 2018 when a local BJP leader named Vijay Mishra accused Gandhi of making rude remarks about Amit Shah during the Karnataka assembly elections. Over the last five years, there have been many court sessions, but Gandhi did not show up for them, which led to a warrant for his arrest. Eventually, he appeared in court in December 2023, and in February 2024, he followed the summons. The court gave him bail after he paid Rs 25,000 twice.

Later, the court asked Gandhi to share his side of the story, which he did on July 26, 2024, after several delays. Gandhi has said he is not guilty and believes the case is a political attack against him. The court has now asked the complainant to provide evidence. Earlier this year, many hearings were delayed because of a strike by lawyers and the health issues of Gandhi’s lawyer. On February 11, Gandhi’s lawyer finished questioning the complainant.

Comments

Leave a Reply